
SNAKES!! Bleh!
In the past few months we have had the occasional creepy crawly in the house. Whenever this occurrence was mentioned around Malawian's or longtime residents, the response was always the same, "just wait until the rainy season.". They were not kidding. The rains began on Monday. Today is Wednesday and look what I discovered in our driveway.
Tonight while putting the kids to bed, our housekeeper rang the doorbell to let me know that our guard had just "killed 2 big snakes." So out pours 3 kids, 2 dogs (I'll get to that in the next post) and myself (Mike was still at work, naturally) to see the carnage.
Sure enough, our brave guard successfully bludgeoned the 2 snakes you see above. The kids were thoroughly impressed/disgusted. I have tried to stress the importance of wearing shoes here (a rule Anna simply cannot bring herself to abide by - don't really blame her as this one might be genetic) and hopefully the snake demonstration will help my cause. We have the snakes in a plastic bag and will take them to a friend who identifies snakes as a "hobby" tomorrow. My fear is that they were black mambas, but everyone here screams black mamba when they see a snake, so I will wait for the professional. If they are, I will looooose my marbles!
In other disgusting news, the rains also brought with them flying termites. I had completely forgotten about these guys (from our Nairobi days). Basically, as soon as dusk arrives, they swarm in the hundreds. If you are dumb enough to have an open door or window (ooops) you will have about a quarter million of these guys in your house in no time. So, they fly in, drop their wings and crawl around in pairs of 2 or 3 until they get stepped on and die, or eaten by the dogs. Totally gross.I realize this is not helping my plight to get visitors. The truth cannot be silenced!



6 comments:
All these stories just MAKE me want to come and visit! I love snakes.
Lynn - You know you just killed any chance of Diana ever coming to Malawi, don't you? Glad your guard has that snake killer gene. Happy Thanksgiving from the UAE.
George
Dad and I both say, YUCK! Yup...still thinking about meeting in London, not Malawi and that pretty much seals the deal! Ugggggggggg
~S and dad
Great disgusting post!! Aughhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
I just couldn't do snakes. Even the termites in the house are better than the snakes. Glad to hear Mike is doing okay!
Creepy! But, you can't say it is boring around there. Can you?
Glad Mike is doing well.
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment