Monday, August 18, 2008

LONDON

Yeah, so this picture pretty much sums up my visit to London. Stay tuned for next weeks blog.

OK seriously. Anna and I spent 3 days in London last week for some Dr's appointments that she needed. It was a very expensive, cold, windy and rainy visit - but we tried to make the best of it. London with a 2 year old in a stroller is not exactly good times! The city was built long before handicapped or stroller accessible was ever a thought - this is clear.

We were able to get out and explore just a bit and knocked out the British Museum and the Tower of London (where all Henry the VIII's Queen's lost their necks) and even caught a good view of the London Bridge.
















Not much else to report here. It has been VERY hot this last week but will quickly cool in the next few weeks and hot will be a distant memory. Can't believe fall is just around the corner. Sophia will be starting school soon and is getting marginally excited about it. We decided against the Russian school after visiting it the other week. The interior of the Russian school was like being in a time capsule of the Soviet Union circa 1965. Strictness and structure have a new definition to me now! The teachers will hold the students hands and "help" them do their artwork and handwriting...whatever it takes for the students to turn in only perfection. The students all sit down to porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch and are expected to take a 2 hour nap after lunch. Sophia was scared to death of the school and kept whispering to me that she just wanted to go home now. I was afraid she was going to simultaneously wet her pants and start sucking her thumb because she was so frightened of the place. Choosing the international school was a no brainer after that visit. If the school has not improved from it's dismal reputation last year then I will just pull her out and home school her.
Hope everyone has a great week. Congrats, again, ABBY!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update...glad you visited the school so you know what's going on...Sophia would have hated it. Great picture of Anna with the Guard.

Angie said...

Loved the description of the Russian school!!! Couldn't stop laughing about Sophia's reaction. Home school? Are you high? I'd rather have Olga the disciplinarian write and draw for Austin than the thought of homeschooling. Sorry London was so wet, expensive and not stroller friendly. At least you were there! So jealous of your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lynn! I go to wondering about the Longhauser clan and looked up your blog - WOW! glad to hear you made it to Moldova - hope all is going (relatively) smoothly. I just want you to know I was wiping tears from my eyes reading about Anna and the shiny penny... I even had to read it out loud to Nick!
All the best from the Janszens